Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A little bit more...

  Today we did a lot of reflection dealing with our personal math journey/history.  In writing that paper I realized that a lot of my math experiences were very negative and I really want to go into this class rebuilding a positive attitude towards mathematics so that when I finally get a class of my own I will be able to teach them and make their math journeys positive.  We learned alot about how math works in relation to the state standards [spiral curriculum--there's a consistent building through the years] to teach math when dealing with different intelligences within the classroom.  You are able to do a lot of pair share activities, reflections, google docs that involve working on stuff together as a class that includes math but still keeps the kids occupied, but for me my favorite is still manipulatives.  For example today we worked with geoboards:


I really enjoyed working with this manipulative because it is hands on!  It allows me to be creative and play but also forces me to stay geometrical...it's like creativity within mathematical restrictions.  Plus I like geometric shapes so it's totally cool to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment